Have you tried Prima Taste Laksa La Mian? (Please be assured that this is not a sponsored post by Prima Taste...)
When I saw the noodles in an Asian grocer in Cincinnati, this is how I described them to my husband:
"Sweetie!!! These laksa noodles are really authentic!!! The best laksa I have ever eaten!!! Even better than the ones from any hawker centre!!"
He raised his eyebrows in response to my superfluous claims and said that he'd like to try them...
So that's the story of how we ended up paying ten (well spent!!) dollars on instant noodles...
So the instructions on the packet says to add both the paste and powder into hot water and then the noodles and simmer for seven minutes (yes, the noodles will be extremely tough if you cook them for two minutes like other instant noodles..I know cos I tried....)
How would I improve on the instructions?
First, in light of my, ahem, previous profession as a dietitian, I would like to highlight that one serving of these noodles is 350 calories BUT there are TWO servings in one packet....so if you just have this packet of noodles without any other ingredients, it will be 700 calories...(context: wanton noodles is about 440 and chicken rice is about 600...and an average Asian woman's daily energy requirement is about 1500-1800kcal...I need to stop rambling..!)
So! What we ended up doing is to share one packet between the two of us and adding ingredients like hard boil eggs, tau pok, eggplant and zucchini...(if given a choice, I'd get fish cake, bean sprouts and shredded chicken..)
Back to the instructions..!
Laksa for two using one packet of Prima Taste Laksa
1. Add the laksa paste to 750ml hot water/ stock.
2. Add noodles, vegetables and tau pok and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Dissolve the coconut powder in 2 tablespoons of warm water or stock and add to the pot. Simmer for two more minutes.
4. Dissolve 1 tablespoon corn starch in 2 tablespoons water and add to the pot.
5. Divide noodles and stock into two bowls.
6. Top with shredded chicken and hard boiled egg. Enjoy!!